Friday, October 22, 2010

I find I journalize too tediously. Let me try to abbreviate.

I was reading Jeremy Hixon's website this morning, and being that he's a User Experience Designer/Developer, he uses a lot of words, abbreviations, and acronyms that make no sense to me.
At this point, I have to fill you in on my game: I'm a writer. I make stuff up. And when I see abbreviations or acronyms, my silly little mind jumps in and makes up meanings before I can puzzle out the real one. So here's my take on Jeremy's skill set:

PHP: Post-Hysterics Pouting, Pitiful Health Plan, Planetary Holographic Photography...
XAMPP: Xylophonic Actuary Mapping Pre-emptory Principles, Xanthide-Anthropomorphing Militant Practicing Proctologists...
CSS: Christian Services Sic, Calibrated Single Systemology, Computer-Sanctioned Stereotypes...
HTML: Her Tiny Majesty's Library, How The Mackerel Laugh, Help! The Mac Lives!, Human Takes Mandatory Launch...
AJAX: After Jack-in-the-box Attack Xxxxxx, A Jointly Adept X--... I always run out of ideas when it comes to X...
OS X: Oh, Shit! X... That's all I've got - see it every time.

Whew! That's enough for today. I foresee re-visiting this acronym theme again.

1 comment:

  1. PHP is actually an interesting one in this case. It's a recursive acronym. It actually stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. This is for adding some programming in on the server side.

    XAMPP is an amalgamation of the software it consists of. 'X' means cross=platform, 'A' is for Apache HTTP Server, 'M' is for MySQL database server, the first 'P' is for PHP and the last 'P' is for Perl (another programming language). It basically turns your computer into a standalone server for development and testing.

    HTML is an oldie, HyperText Markup Language. It makes the paragraphs, headlines and links (among other things) in the websites we use.

    AJAX is a fun one too. Asynchronous Javascript And XML. Basically you use Javascript to pull information from another page and parse it out for use or display without the need to reload the page itself. Sort of "real-time" interwebs.

    OS X is the operating system that comes on newer Macs. Operating System 10 as it where.

    I can understand problems with 'X' in these things. In this instance one was a roman numeral being thrown in and another was just part of another acronym, 'XML'. Which, if your curious, is Extensible Markup Language.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete