Monday, November 15, 2010

There is always some madness in love.

But there is also always some reason in madness. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

It must be love. I'm writing poetry. Icky-sticky poetry. It's been years since I've written anything resembling this stuff. I'm vaguely disgusted with myself, but I'm hopeful that it will shift a little as we settle into each other. I'd like to get back to writing myth poems. Per esempio:


Eurydice

I lead her this far,
hard-won with cleverness and
skill.  Even Hades
could not spare his stony heart
from the cry of Love’s sorrow.

The thread of her life
has frayed and snap’t.  I beg you,
return her to me.
Her shade follows your music.
Doubt not and look not behind.

With one hand in light,
I turned to my love, breaking
the single thread of
hope, watching her translucence
dissolve, grasping at shadows.

I sang out for death –
they came with equal passion.
Torn body and soul,
the Muses gather fragments,
scattering them on the winds.

Orpheus gazes
on her – no penalty for
reassurance now.


I miss writing this kind of stuff. That's a tanka, I think - Japanese form of poetry, syllable based. Someday, I'll publish a book of all my re-tellings and re-centerings, both prosaic and poetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment